MOTION TO ADOPT PROPOSED RESOLUTION 2015-R-18.
PROPOSED RESOLUTION 2015-R-18 IS A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF PEMBROKE PINES, FLORIDA, ENDORSING THE EFFORTS AND WORK PRODUCTS OF THE C-51 GOVERNANCE AND FINANCE WORK GROUP; URGING THE SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT TO SUPPORT COST-EFFECTIVE IMPLEMENTATION OF PHASE 1 OF THE C-51 RESERVOIR; ENCOURAGING PERMITTING AND CONSTRUCTION OF PHASE 1 OF THE PROJECT; RECOMMENDING THAT INTERESTED WATER UTILITIES PURSUE STORAGE ALLOCATIONS AND PERMITS; DIRECTING THE CITY CLERK TO TRANSMIT A COPY OF THIS RESOLUTION TO THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, FLORIDA, THE BROWARD AND PALM BEACH LEAGUES OF CITIES, AND THE SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT GOVERNING BOARD; PROVIDING FOR CONFLICTS; PROVIDING FOR SEVERABILITY; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
Summary Explanation and Background
SUMMARY EXPLANATION AND BACKGROUND:
1. The benefits of the C-51 Reservoir project extend well beyond water supply and include water quality improvements for the Everglades Protected Areas, reduced storm-water discharges to the Lake Worth Lagoon that waste freshwater to tide, and mitigation of the impacts of climate change, such as drought, saltwater intrusion of coastal wells, and flooding during extreme storm events.
2. At the May 15, 2013 Commission meeting, Mayor Ortis brought forward an item seeking Commission support for the Regional C-51 Regional Governance and Finance Work Group.
3. Commission unanimously passed a motion to direct the City Attorney to prepare a resolution and bring back for Commission consideration.
4. Proposed Resolution No. 2013-R-16 expresses Commission support of the creation of the Work Group to develop governance and finance strategies for phase I implementation of the proposed C-51 reservoir project, subject to the condition that the city shall not be responsible for any funding for the project.
5. City of Pembroke Pines was one of Bro...Click here for full text