MOTION TO APPROVE AN AGREEMENT WITH TASER FOR THE PURCHASE OF BODY CAMERA SYSTEMS, DIGITAL EVIDENCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AND DATA STORAGE AS A SOLE SOURCE TO EQUIP 211 PEMBROKE PINES POLICE DEPARTMENT OFFICERS WITH BODY CAMERAS
Summary Explanation and Background
SUMMARY EXPLANATION AND BACKGROUND
1. In May 2015, the City Commission directed the City Manager and Police Chief to prepare a comprehensive implementation plan to outfit the Pembroke Pines Police Department with Body Worn Cameras (BWC). Over a 12 month period, the Pembroke Pines Police Department evaluated eight BWC products, which resulted in the field testing of four different solutions: Taser, Wolfcom, Safety Vision, and Point Blank.
2. The City of Pembroke Pines Police Department would like to purchase Taser BWC's and their BWC digital evidence management system (EVIDENCE.COM platform) and storage solution. The Pembroke Pines Police Department field tested the Taser BWC solution for two weeks. During this field testing of Taser, the Police Department was able to record 10.9 hours of footage, comprising 88 separate BWC videos with accompanying audit logs.
3. The Pembroke Pines Police Department wishes to utilize the Taser BWC solution (Taser Body Cameras and Taser's EVIDENCE.COM platform). The City has received a sole source letter from TASER International, Inc. advising that the "goods and services required to satisfy the agency's needs are only manufactured and available for purchase from TASER International".
4. Taser BWCs and EVIDENCE.COM platform are both utilized by other regional and local law enforcement agencies; including:
- Broward County Sheriff's Office
- West Palm Beach PD
- Hallandale Beach PD
- Miami PD
- Orlando PD
- Tampa PD
- 51 other agencies around the State of Florida
Taser's digital evidence management solution, EVIDENCE.COM, is utilized by approximately 5,600 agencies nationwide; including:
- Hollywood PD
- Plantation PD
- Sunrise PD
- Da...Click here for full text